Freelance Writing Tricks: Why I Ignore the Advice Not to Multitask

You've heard the time management tips of multitasking. People say not to do it.

Well, I routinely ignore this advice. More often than not I will multitask. In fact, right now I have multiple tabs open all for different things. I'm even making notes of writing course ideas to start creating and offering.

Multitasking works for me. I know it does and I've been doing it for years. I've had to be able to handle conversations with people while doing something completely different--and usually having multiple "somethings" to think about.

This is the only way that I'm able to get so much done on a daily basis. It's how I manage to write about TV shows. I'll do the recaps while I'm watching or I'll make notes for reviews as they're on. I'll put down blog post ideas as they come to me and even flesh them out when I don't have to really concentrate on scenes.

I actually have the need to multitask. My husband finds it annoying. I can't sit down and enjoy a TV show or movie. I have to do something else at the same time, which usually means I have my phone or laptop open. That's just who I am.


One of my online writing friends has commented that she's jealous that I can do so much. I can have multiple projects on the go and just switch between them all. We used to chat for a few hours through instant messaging about one certain fictional project but there'd be times that I'd have to work at the same time. I'd get blog posts written absolutely fine while making notes and developing plot lines for the fictional piece. My mind was always focused on everything that I had to do.

We're all different. For some, that advice not to multitask is the best advice they can follow. They will get more things done by working on one thing at a time. For others, multitasking comes second nature or is a compulsion that we have to do.

Do you multitask or do you need to keep your mind focused on one task at a time?

[Image courtesy of iosphere at FreeDigitalPhotos.net]

Comments